Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Gypsy Market (Rota)



Today I went out into Rota for a trip to the Gypsy Market as they call it here (Flea Market as what we call it in the states).




My new friends Brianna Hartl and her two daughters Bailey and Amelia decided to show me the coolest little spot in town.


They have all sorts of things but the main difference between a Flea Market and a Gypsy Market is that nothing in a Gypsy Market is second hand. It is the perfect place to get homemade or grown goods as well, like olives, spices, honey, and fresh snails. All of which are surprisingly great (and you all know me, I don't normally like olives but these are fantastic. They have a much different flavor than in the states.)



After visiting the market on our gloomy day (it rained for only like the 4th time in 8 months here) I was then taken to 1 of 4 familiar places in Spain. A Chinese restaurant, named Takiko. The food was incredible. Much higher price than you would pay for in the states (like everything else here) but so nice to have something that is common to me verses something Spanish.   



These are some pictures of just the everyday Rota. If you look closely you can see English written in the middle of the first picture (Rent A Car). The second is a typical Spanish house and the third is this weird set of hands that everyone thinks is ugly, even the Spanish think it is ugly.





Ok well, I love you all and hope you enjoy the pictures. Becky

PS. I am half way finished with painting so you will all see pictures soon but I have a lot I want to do with the furniture and such so you will see more later on down the road as well due to the fact that I am going to mind our budget and do things little by little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Rota Spain in 1970-1972 I loved it!!! Would like to go back someday! It has changed so much!!