Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Much Awaited Olive Mill



I am so sorry for the delay. I went to the Olive Mill back in November 2009. The day after Thanksgiving with my neighbors Jon and Heather. Jon also had his grandfather with him, who I must say was a really nice guy. We traveled for quite a while out into Spain's  sierra territory. I think it was like an hour and a half or longer.

I really don't think I could have taken more pictures if I tried but I will try to keep them to a minimum on the blog. It was a beautiful drive though. Oh, and I was running a fever. I had some sort of cold and I didn't really feel up to going but I didn't think it was going to be all that bad until about an hour into the trip when we had to stop for medicine. However as you well know, I made it through.
The olive mill was up in the mountains and all you could see for at least 30 minutes of driving were olive trees and winding roads. The village we ate at was one of the few white washed left in Spain and the restaurant used the oil from the mill on the tables.








The gentleman who owned the mill said that it has been in his family for some 500 years and they use machines now but the process is exactly the same. And no one is allowed to touch the olives. They have to be pure. The olives are ground up and then squeezed to form the oil. We are talking a lot of pressure. Nothing is wasted. I also told us that almost all the olive oil we eat in the US comes from Spain but is bottled in Italy. He was a really nice guy, you all would have enjoyed the experience.

2 comments:

Charity Mack said...

Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to dip some bread in the olive oil!

Grennan Family of 5 said...

I still can't get over these pics...you so should get to work on publishing a book or photos or something. I'd buy it ;-)