Saturday, January 23, 2010

Schloss Heidelberg (Castle Heidelberg)

I am taking it one day at a time here in Germany so expect more than just one post. We are going to be here for 10 days and I am not sure just what all we are going to enjoy but we are very happy to be here. Germany is a beautiful place that is again a big change from the USA but really good experience.
I am sure you are all wondering, yes... I am driving here. However I have been really scared and I am learning to relax as best I can. Jeremy and I took our first adventure today and really had a great day.
He helped me by reading the GPS for me and learning how to help me understand him, as well as I learned to listen to him better. It was quite the sight. We yelled a lot at first but then by the end of the day we had it down. No yelling just listening and talking and responding to our new surroundings.



We made it to Heidelberg with just enough time to visit their castle and then eat dinner before heading back to the hotel for the night.

Jeremy and I climbed 314 steps to see the castle. I had to stop 3 times because I needed to take in more oxygen (I yawned the whole way), but yes the pregnant woman climbed that many stairs. I is a beautiful city as you can see, and the castle was so big.


I was hard to imagine that something so large was built in the medieval times and that all the damage was done by catapults and fire balls from the same time period. It really put some things in perspective. I is hard to tell from the pictures but the size of this place is really something to see in person.

This is a picture of Jeremy out in front of one of their giant beer barrels. It is not the biggest one but it shows the perspective better. The biggest one in the world was in an other room and was so large it was like 2 times as big as this one.

This is a picture of a tree that wrapped around the pillar. I is the entrance to the castle's well. I was really cool. I don't think I did it justice though. I still have a lot to learn as a photographer. It frustrates me that I notice a better shot later on, even from a picture I took. Oh well, I get better with practice, my only sadness is that I know I may never be back to these places.
You probably won't believe me but the hard part about our visit was going down the steps. It hurt my knees so bad. I think it is because of that hormone when you are pregnant that relaxes your ligaments because I have never felt pain in my knees before, I didn't like it at all.

Jeremy and I went to dinner at this little restaurant in the plaza. We ate Schnitzel which we both agree was absolutely wonderful. We also ate something called a Flame Cake, it was like a really thin pizza with sour cream, dill, onions, turkey, and cheese. It was very good as well. Well that is really it for today. We Love you and we will keep in touch. Beck  PS. There is more to come even from today, I just want to space it out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed the pictures.

THANKS.